Sunday 7 July 2013

GJ Cleverley - Grained Cordovan Full brogue for the countryside

I am aware that the English shoemakers are not very keen of Cordovan, "crup" as it is called in the UK. Cordovan is the American bang. But ...yes, when I saw this "crup" grained full brogue from GJ Cleverley, I go Wow!
I almost passed it but then, a better look at the hide, punching details and overall look of the shoe and colour then I was interested. It is a very interesting shoe, first and foremost grained Cordovan hide, then the punching and brogueing, which might look excessive and too much. But we have to go back in the day when brogues had a purpose in the Highlands. 
Will not go into details, now this is a perfect shoe for the country side with tweeds, will perhaps go hand in hand with a city suit, but can not imagine how? 
 Another thing distinctive with the shoe is the punching /brogue has a contrast to the grain and texture of the "crup" not to mention the white welting stitches which matches the brogue/punching. Oh, almost forgot not using blind eyelets, thus giving the shoe a vintage look. Difficult polishing this shoe, unless keeping with natural polish.

The beauty of going bespoke, where the commissioner of the shoe goes wild but keeps the traditions and knows what is classic, elegant and timeless. Nothing fancy just bespoke and from GJ Cleverley. Well done and no more talk.

GJ Cleverley rendition of full brogue with extra punching made of grained Crup/cordovan
Photos sourced from GJ Cleverley

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm

    Different, I don't recall seeing a brogue with this much.. Punch... I can definitely see the use of them in the fall with tweeds and such.. Not my cup of tea in this pair .. But I very much respect the artwork and craftsmanship. Thanks SA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,
    Thanks for the comment. Well, about three years ago I attended a wedding whereby two of the guests were Highlanders, all dressed up in kilts and ghillie shoes. That was the first time I saw so much punching and brogueing on a shoe (have to admit was well done).

    True that this type of shoe may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have to admit that the artwork and craftsmanship is at the top, as you also mentioned. In my humble opinion, if I owned this shoe, I would like it as time goes on, very unique and probably not many of the kind. The pleasures of bespoke, I suppose.

    Have a pleasant day.

    Best regards

    The Shoe Aristo Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Texas, but saw this shoe in Cleverley's boutique within the Royal Arcade. I ordered a pair on the spot. This is just one of many Cleverley products that have always put me into orbits of delight. In addition to the exquisite materials and faultless craftsmanship as to which Cleverley is a world leader, George and Anthony Glasgow are true gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete