Tuesday 16 April 2013

GJ Cleverley - Full brogue (imitation) oxford with inner gusset

For the day I have sampled a full brogue (imitation) oxford with inner side gussets from GJ Cleverley (London) and I have to admit that GJ Cleverley produces some of the most elegant, light and beautiful shoes. I do have a "thing" for side gussets, I know, not many gents appreciate them, but they are practical when one travels frequently. It is very rare to see a laced oxford with side gussets, but here they are. Elegantly renditioned and very unique. Nice shoe, would like to add this pair to my Cleverley collection.
A full brogue (imitation) laced oxford with inner side gussets
Photos sourced from GJ Cleverley

2 comments:

  1. I must say I am a lobb fan and love his work.. But I'm going to have to say that I am not a fan of the gusset. To each their own, of course , but I can't get I to a detail, that I feel was added for laziness. I am quite sure it's my own thinking on this, but I feel part of the fun and whimsy of wearing 'high end' shoes, is using a shoe horn or skillfully I lacing them and lacing them back up. Not putting your instep on the heel and pulling. I thought that's what loafers were for? Casual, some business and travel.. They are all good looking shoes, but I can't get into the gusset... Thanks for the post SA!


    -brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,

    Thanks for your lengthy comment. I am of the same school, that Oxfords must be put on with a shoe horn, then laced and unlaced, the art of wearing shoes. As I frequent traveller I have found the gussets useful but not on Oxford laced shoes, more on a "loafer" like with a cap toe giving me the formality and ease of travelling. I have also noted that the last six - seven years the "lazy man's shoes" are hype for the moment. I still like the gussets but not when real lacings are there. As you correctly put it "to each their own".

    Hope you have a pleasant day.

    Regards
    The Shoe Aristo Cat

    ReplyDelete